Monday, December 5, 2011

History of Moi, The Atheist

Well I guess it started off with my Parents. My parents didn't baptise me and decided that it would be wrong of them to impose any religion on me at such a young age. Sound thinking since you can join any religion at any time and religions indoctrinate children out of fear that their "souls" would be lost if they were to die and they weren't made a member of the cult/religion. They enrolled me into a non-denominational primary school that wasn't local to us but was on the commute to my mom's work (or at least not too inconvenient from it). Catholic instruction was possible in this school but it was outside of class time and was an opt in rather then the non religious opting out.

I'll fast forward a bit to around the 10-12 age. At this stage I was an early bloomer in terms of intelligence. I was no means "gifted", I would struggle at things like Irish and some aspects of Maths but myself and another kid, would've been above our age in scientific interest and comprehension. I would've been a regular watcher of BBC Horizon and Wildlife on One at this stage and would've understood most of it. This I feel was key to laying the foundations of evolution and the relationship between similar animal species in my head. I could see the similarity of Humans and the other great apes and of dogs and wolves and other examples. I was only just hearing of Darwin and his body of work at this stage as my first, and still one of my greatest, hero of Biology and natural world was David Attenborough. It just made sense to me and the evidence has only gotten stronger since then.

My transfer to second level wasn't an easy one, I went to the local one whereas my primary school friends naturally went to the nearest one to the primary school. I retreated quite a bit into my shell for the first 3 years and in some areas I haven't fully gotten over those self esteem issues. I was convinced I was the sole atheist but funnily enough that didn't make me feel down as I had built up a mental brick wall and a facade towards my fellow students. I was only myself around my immediate and extended family. It was 4th year or transition year where I came out of my shell quite a bit and made lifelong close friends. I saw no need to keep up the facade and saw transition year as an opportunity to wipe the slate clean and start afresh. The fact that there were several bonding trips such as cycling for a week or paris or skiing (5th year) only catalysed my intent.

During 6th year, religion class was a study period with occasional guest speakers from various religious groups we had an ex Jahovah's Witness (he gave us the inside scoop that a practicing one would never give us), group of Hare Krishnas and maybe a few others I forget. I wasn't an outspoken atheist at the time but wouldn't have hesitated to let people know if they asked. The same as I feel now. I found out a few of my friends were also atheists at this stage. But my closest friend funnily enough I don't think I ever asked him. He either is or a very lax catholic otherwise he would have put up with me all these years. This pretty much bings me up to speed as my views haven't changed since then. I subscribe to the Skeptics Guide to the Universe, The Atheist Experience and The Non Prophets podcasts (among others). I am a loose member of Atheist Ireland, by that I mean I subscribe to their newsletters and Facebook page/group (whichever it is, Facebook blurred the lines between them) and occasionally fall in for their social meetups but am not as of this moment a fully paid up member but I certainly would be if I had the disposable income (it's not much but I'm THAT poor).


Well I'm off back to my incessant browsing, Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment